Grandma with my daughter (an old picture)

No Choice in this Matter

In my muddled opinion, there are two times – two months – when people should not die:  December and October.

    December is obvious to me – I don’t wish anyone to die during the holidays.

    Okay, okay … I realize that this is faulty thinking.  People die when their times comes around.  I have this theme throughout my Tales of Resilience, especially in Fine, Just Fine which will release next year. 

    From Fine, Just Fine, coming in 2022:

I need to trust him.  He is a minister of God.

“Pastor Edmund,” Asia began, paused for a moment, then continued, “I have not told anyone yet that I’m … well, that I’m going to die soon. I am not long for this world.”

“None of us are,” came his quiet response.

Asia shook her head.  “My cancer has returned, and I am choosing not to do any more treatments.  I’m so old –.”

“No, ma’am.  God takes us when he’s ready.”

Mama always said that.

    October is my other no-die month. Here’s why:  I read or hear about too many deaths of cancer victims in October.   It’s Breast Cancer Awareness Month and while I appreciate my breast cancer brethren bloggers enlightening us with statistics about BC, or sharing their own problems and concerns, I hate reading about people who actually die of breast cancer during this month.

    Twitter is a wonderful resource for those is us with breast cancer, especially metastatic breast cancer.  The tweets are usually full of information (or people asking questions which brings about information), updates from those undergoing treatment, pleas for information and/or prayers, and occasionally even something humorous.  I especially enjoy the fake conversation between a Cancer Haver and a Muggle.  If you don’t know what a Muggle is (I did not because I am not a Harry Potter Fan), you do know people who trivialize something you hold seriously.  So, someone saying, “You don’t look like you’re sick” is a Muggle  indeed because you have cancer and are sick but have managed to still look good. (I guarantee you that inside a cancer-ravaged body, all is ugly.)

    So, this October, I looked forward to the words of wisdom from serious breast cancer bloggers and I was not disappointed, But that first week of October, it seemed like every other Tweet was written by a husband, sister, child of someone who had just died.  Breaks my heart … makes me wonder when someone (who?) will write, “This is Linda’s ___. She died today.”

    Please don’t say “She lost her battle with cancer.”  Hate that.  Yes, I get that I’m struggling to stay alive, but I had no desire to be drawn into this war and I refuse to think of myself as armor riddled as I take another Verzenio tablet or go see my oncologist for those two lovely shots of Faslodex which I need each month to stay away from the battlefield.

    You’re probably thinking, “What’s wrong with this chick is that she’s just scared?”  Well, yeah, I am.  I don’t think of myself as old, and I certainly don’t want to die.

    Second thing you might wonder is what month is it okay to die?  All right, you got me there.

    Maybe I don’t want any deaths in October because several of my family members have October birthdays.  Or perhaps it’s because my first cancer diagnosis was in October, and I don’t want my ending to be in the same month.  I don’t know.  I have a story …

    My lovely daughter was born on a rainy October day in 1985.  After her birth, my husband called our parents and siblings who them passed the information out to the world.  My dad somehow got the onerous job of telling his mother-in-law.  Her first response to hearing of her great-granddaughter’s birth was, “Oh!  Today is the day Tom died!”

    Tom was her husband, my grandfather, and if I were truly talented at writing I’d get their love story down because it saturates you with love. 

    But my dad was not having his new granddaughter associated with a death.

    “No,” he replied with (I imagine) calm, steel, determination and years of Catholic upbringing in his voice. “Today is the day that Tom went on to a better life.”

    Of course, I didn’t hear this story right away, but when I did, I was so glad that my father made sure that we not attach a new baby’s birth to a death that had happened twelve years before. 

    Later I realized that Dad was right.  Grandma saw only sadness in Grandpa’s death, and nothing – including Dad’s response to her statement - changed that attitude for the thirty-eight years she grieved his loss. If I were a stronger, more religious person at the time, I would have celebrated the fact that a good man had earned eternal life on the day my little girl started her human life.

    Why can’t I look at death that way?  Fear, probably.

    Oh!  And I should note that my grandfather was born in October.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog